Sunday, July 22, 2012
Rod and I went to Hillsboro stadium for "One", the once-a year, all-body gathering of the church we attend (Solid Rock). There was a ton of people, both faces we recognize and many we do not. As we walked the grounds, ate dinner, and mingled, I was struck with great affection for the people in the place. Say what you will about church and "organized religion." I confess I probably said worse in my earlier days, but here's the thing really. We are all just a bunch of people, none more "gooder" than the others, none more righteous than others, just people, all neked underneath our clothes. What is so inspiring and comforting about being in the crowds of believers and seekers is the very real presence of the Spirit who drew us there for one purpose. Namely, to be loved and love in the name of the One who gave His life for us. Community to me says, "come, unity," an invitation to gather and be of one mind, one accord, and one body. Having lived many days as a loner before Jesus, yet craving a sense of belonging to something bigger than myself, I have to say it is one of the most completing senses I've known. I have come to understand that this is what we were created to recognize in ourselves and others. We were made to both worship and be in relationship and the hole in me is filled only by Jesus Himself. We were made to be connected to both Him and His kids. As we walked through the crowds, I was also made aware of the fact that one of the greatest gifts I've been given is the man I was blessed to marry two years ago. I love, LOVE to hang out with him in places like this. I love his company and his hand holding mine as we walk. I have been given a great friend and it is in moments like this evening that this is really magnified. We live in a society that values independence but I confess I'm rather learning to love dependence on the One who knows me best because in trusting Him to know my heart, I'm gifted the very thing I desire most. I am given all that I never knew I needed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment